Ok, so the sky may not be falling, but it may feel like it. Let’s look at this a little more closely:
- Gas Prices are high (but not as high as they were)
- The housing market has gone to hell in a hand basket (not sure what a hand basket is)
- Banks are closing, being taken over by the government or being sold left and right.
- The Stock Market just had the worst crash in history.
- And Clay Aiken is gay (just thought I’d toss that one in there)
And although you don’t come to the KLEAN Dish for economic advice or information, the one thing I know to be true is that there are still ways to rise above the true and perceived facts of our world.
I was asking myself what are things that I can do to stay centered?
Here’s a small list of things that I do to keep myself from reacting to everything that is going “crazy” outside of me.
- Writing. What I am doing right now. Sometimes I may have only 2-3 things running around in my brain, but it can feel like more than that. Once I put it down on paper, (or on the keyboard in this case) I feel I have reined-in those loose horses and can think more clearly.
- I clean out a drawer, my car, organize paperwork. Just get things in order that add to my “craziness.”
- Take time to take care of myself. Get a pedicure, massage, teeth cleaning. I took a restorative yoga workshop at Black Dog Yoga on Sunday. My friend Melissa Morgan was the instructor and it was fabulous. It’s basically stretching and breathing and laying around (consciously). My favorite kind of exercise! And even though my brain was busy, I was still able to relax and get centered. If you are local to Los Angeles, I recommend taking that Black Dog restorative class.
- Talk it out. Whatever is going on in my brain can drive me crazy. When I share my “craziness” with a friend, it releases what’s going on inside. So make time for friends. They are so important.
- Finally, and this is something I need to DO instead of thinking about doing, take a walk. Keeping your body busy doing something physical can keep your mind and fears at bay. It also releases endorphins, which calms you down.
So if you have a lot going on. Stay present, take time for yourself and have a wonderful day!
You may have heard me mention that I recently joined a worldwide giving movement called 29 Gifts. I’ve been so inspired by the changes I’m seeing in my life as a result. It feels great to be part of a positive community and help create a revival of the giving spirit in the world. There are people taking part from 37 countries!
We only need 64 more people to say “YES” and sign up for our 29-Day Giving Challenge by 11:59 pm pacific time on Monday, 9/29/08 to meet our initial goal of 2,000 givers. I hope you’ll join with me and offer your own gifts to the world.
It’s so simple. Just sign up at http://www.29Gifts.org and commit to give away 29 gifts in 29 days. If you want to, you can share stories or art on the 29 Gifts community page about how it impacts your life to focus on giving.
You can start your personal challenge any time, and your 29 Gifts can be anything… money, food, old sweaters, smiles, your time, kind words or positive thoughts.
WHY SHOULD YOU DO THIS? To inspire more generosity on our planet. Because to see our world change, we have to do something to change our world. Plus, the best way to attract abundance into your own life is to be in a perpetual state of giving and gratitude.
I am on my second round of giving and it has been SO rewarding!
We would LOVE for you to vote and comment vote once each day if you feel so inclined) on our entry!! We are also so thrilled with the many complimentary posts we have received from our customers. We couldn’t ask for more!! Thank you!!
KLEAN’s Yuzu Sugar Body Polish was featured in the College Television Awards thank you gift bag. It’s being auctioned-off on E-bay if you care to bid to win the entire gift bag!
Click here to bid